Monday, August 12, 2013

Starting again

So it's been awhile, years actually, since I've posted anything here. 

But it seems like time to start again.

I'm interested in trying a bit of an experiment. I was struck yesterday by an overwhelming response to a Facebook status update about the great things that happened during my day. I became inspired to write about the amazing, exciting, surprising, simply delightful happenings each day. I'm also so curious to see what will happen as this becomes a regular practice.

I tend to be one of those people who have a much, much easier time focusing on the negative - what sucked during my day, what's wrong with the world, society, culture we live in. And while I'm beginning to see that this lens of critique and criticism is an important gift I have to offer the world, it can also be a really easy trap to fall into. When I fall, I fall hard, and end up walking around like that comic strip character who has the storm cloud above their head while everyone else is enjoying the sunshine.

So, in an effort to enjoy the sunshine a little more, starting today, for one month, I'm going to write daily about the positive, interesting, delightful, surprising happenings that occur.

For today: I'm staying with a friend while I'm in between houses. She came home this morning all energized and excited to go on a bike ride and trail run combined. I was still sitting sleepily at the dining room table when she asked if I wanted to join her. Saying yes, I expected her to leave me in the dust as she works out way more than I do. Miraculously though, I was able to keep up and started my day enjoying the landscape of these amazing foothills identifying edible and medicinal plants along the way.


No comments: