Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Today my story is about gratitude, particularly gratitude for honesty and vulnerability. I went to hear a band called the Sea Stars play last might. This husband wife duo play, what I would call, ethereal folk music. That alone is not profound or moving enough to make it into my gratitude writings. What is worthy however, is the way in which they infuse their music with the sheer rawness, honesty and vulnerability of being human. I sat through almost three hours of music totally mesmerized and occasionally moved to tears (and I generally get bored or antsy easily).
Part of what I love so much about art/music/creative expression is its ability to help me touch into or connect with another’s experience; and to feel someone else’s hope, joy, despair, worry, or gratitude is an incredibly valuable gift as it reminds me that I am indeed not alone in my experience of these feelings. And don’t we all want to feel connected?

No comments: