Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Simple Things

This story feels so Boulder, so if you're reading this and you're not in Boulder well, I'm not sure what to tell you...

I made a peach pie the other night to take to a friend's house for dinner. With fresh local peaches, of course. Now I would usually put the pie in my bike trailer (I don't have a car and my bike is my primary transportation) and take it to dinner that way. However, since most of my belongings are in storage I didn't have access to the bike trailer, or the spare bike inner tubes I keep laying around to use as bungees. So I walked the 7 minutes to my local bike shop and inquired about any old tubes they might have laying around. As he rummages through the barrel of old tubes he says, "how many do you need". I reply that I just need a couple so that I can strap a pie to the rack on the back of my bike. He doesn't even smile or bat an eyelash at this response.

I go on my merry little way, take the tubes home, cut them up, and tie down the pie. It made it unscathed to dinner and I felt so happily resourceful.

As I write this, I realize that I'm not quite sure why this experience made me so incredibly happy, but it did. Perhaps it's because I really enjoy transporting unusual items around on my bike, or perhaps it's that I was able to rescue something from the trash that was immediately useful. Whatever it was left a big goofy grin on my face.

No comments: